Recipe by our friend Andrea Bemis
These are a lovely spring treat to serve up for a first course with a glass of Amity Vineyards Riesling. Sweet peas, fragrant herbs and salty feta make these a tasty appetizer to help celebrate the season! Pour a glass and dig in!
- 10-ounces of fresh or frozen sweet peas (if frozen thawed)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- fat pinch of salt
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs such as dill, parsley, mint and chives
- 3-ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup ghee, bacon fat or oil for frying
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice or dash or red wine vinegar
- Flakey sea salt
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil. Add the peas and boil for 3 minutes or until bright green and tender. Remove from the heat and rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl whisk together the beaten eggs, garlic, pepper flakes, salt herbs and cheese. Gently whisk in the flour and stir until evenly combined.
- Heat the cooking fat in a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Form the batter into small patties (about ¼ cup of batter per patty) and fry until golden brown and cooked through (about 2-3 minutes per side).
- In a bowl whisk together the yogurt with the lemon juice and fat pinch of salt.
- Serve patties with the yogurt and glass of Riesling.