Recipe by our friend Andrea Bemis
This “greened” up version of the Italian classic tomato and bread salad is a wonderful way to incorporate all those lovely early spring greens. This salad is bright, light and pairs wonderfully with Amity Vineyards Bass Hill Pinot.
- 1 loaf of sourdough bread, torn into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for brushing the bread)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- fat pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 ½ pounds asparagus
- 10-ounces fresh or frozen green peas
- ½ of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs (dill, parsley, basil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Brush the bread with a little olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
- In a bowl whisk together the ¼ cup olive oil with the vinegar and a fat pinch of salt.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the asparagus and peas. Blanch for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl add the toasted bread, onion, arugula, cheese, and herbs. Toss in the asparagus, peas and radishes. Drizzle with the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.