- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- A few grinds of black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon whiskey, rum or select cluster riesling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced pineapple, in 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Position a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter or coat a 8 inch square pan with nonstick spray. Line the bottom with a square of parchment paper.
- MAKE THE TOPPING: Add the butter, brown sugar, baby leaf, cinnamon, pepper, and salt to a medium skillet. Cook the mixture over medium head, stirring occasionally, until melted and emulsified. Stir in the whiskey and vanilla bean paste. Add the pineapple and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for about 5 more minutes, turning the pineapple over in the sauce occasionally until it releases its juices and the juices thicken slightly.
- Remove the bay leaf and carefully pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Use a fork to arrange the pineapple pieces in a single layer.
- MAKE THE CAKE: In a large bowl, whisk the brown sugar and eggs until pale and foamy, about 1 minute. Add the sour cream, oil, vanilla, and salt. Whisky until smooth and emulsified.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda to the bowl and whisky until well combined and smooth. The batter will be thick.
- Very gently spoon the batter over the pineapple in the prepared pan and smooth the top. Some of the caramel may come up over the sides of the batter. Tuck any pineapple slices that try to sneak up the sides back down into the pan.
- Bake the cake until puffed and golden, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 3- to 40 minutes. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Then very carefully invert the cake onto a serving plate. Peel off the parchment paper and serve.
Recipe by: Yossy Arefi